Friday, January 24, 2014

Handwritten with Love

I am guilty of spending a large chunk if my time on Pinterest, particularly in the education section. I love looking at blogs of adorable classrooms, perfectly crafter word walls, and the individually created resources. With darling fonts and whimsical borders- be still my heart. 
I'd love to be a teacher whose handouts and quizzes were all created with a font that captured the heart of the story. I would like to have clip art and borders that matched the theme of the novel. And sometimes I try to do this. But more often than not, this is what my quizzes end up looking like:
My school currently doesn't have enough classrooms for every teacher to have their own, so I share my room with another English teacher. To be fair, I'm luckier than most of the first year teachers as I get to teach 2/3 of my classes in my room and don't have to travel with a cart. But this also means that I have no computer or private place to work on my planning period. Hence the handwritten quizzes and handouts. 
I try to remind myself that the quality of the materials far surpasses the adorableness, but sometimes I do wish I had that cute factor. Anne Shirley and Laura Ingalls certainly wouldn't have had fancy copies for their students and if handwritten was good enough for them, it's good enough for me.
What do you think- do appealing quizzes and handouts help students learn? Or does the material trump all?

1 comment:

  1. Material! Cute is fun sometimes, but I think the TpT surge has taken the "realness" away and replaced it with cute. We need a happy balance.

    ReplyDelete