Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Book Proposal

One activity that I have my students do each 9 weeks is to complete an Outside Reading Project (we call it ORP) with a book the choose. I found last semester that many students were choosing books that they had either already read or that were too easy for them. To remedy this issue with my new students, I wanted to design a way to let them have freedom over their choice, yet allow me to have veto power. And, of course, I wanted to find a way to get them writing. 
So I designed a new book proposal activity that will ask students to justify their choice of novel for their Outside Reading Project. It asks them to explain their reasoning for choosing the book, what they hope to take away from it, and how it will challenge them. I've put this activity on my Teachers Pay Teachers account for FREE for you to check out!
This was designed to pair with my Outside Reading Project but could be used with any literature reading assignment or book report. It could easily be used with a variety of ages- just tweak the length requirements.  How do you keep your students feeling in control of their decisions, yet still maintain control?

No comments:

Post a Comment